Colo-NESCO Community and Staff,
I wanted to touch base with you on a few items as we move into the new year.
1) Superintendent/Elementary Principal Search: The deadline for applying was December 31, 2020 and the district received 17 applications for the position. Trent Grundmeyer & Associates is the search firm handling the search for the District. The next step will be for the School Board to screen the applications and narrow down the number of candidates. They will be doing this on Monday, January 11th in closed session. Once the Board has narrowed down the number of candidates, they will set up interviews with the final 3 or 4 candidates on Tuesday, February 9th. This process will run from 12:30 pm to about 6:00 pm. During the formal interview session the School Board will have staff, parents and community members part of the interview process. If you would like to be part of that process please notify Rita Foley, Human Resource Director, at email@example.com by Friday, January 8th.
2) Construction Update: Graphite Construction has been busy at both sites. In Colo, they have removed the ceiling tile and gird work in the 5th and 6th grade wing and hallways in that area as they proceed to prepare that area for the new HVAC system. The goal is to get to the JH/HS wing during spring break. Staff and students are experiencing a lot of different sounds as work goes on in the building. Our hope is that all this work will be completed by start of school next fall.
At the Zearing building the construction crew has been doing a lot of grading and preparing the area for the pouring of footings. They hope to have that done soon.
3) Open Enrollment Information: This is the process by which parents/guardians residing in an Iowa district may enroll their children into another Iowa school district under the terms and conditions of Iowa Code section 282.18 and 281–Iowa Administrative Code 17. The deadline for students entering Grades 1-12 is March 1st. The deadline for students entering kindergarten is September 1st.
4) LED Sign At Zearing Elementary: The City of Zearing applied for and received Urban Renewal Funds from the County Board of Supervisors to place an LED sign at the Zearing Elementary to be used by the city and school to notify the public of upcoming events. This will be very beneficial for both organizations.
5) Bus Drivers: The District is always in the need for substitute bus drivers for regular routes and special trips. The pay is $110.62 per day for a regular route. If you have an interest in driving a school bus, please contact Ken Leighty, Transportation Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The District will work with you to get your bus license.
Please contact me if you have questions on any of the items above or any other topic.